WHERE TO FIND GLUTEN-FREE FOOD
2955 Kirby at W. Alabama (713/520-1937; 11144 Westheimer at Wilcrest (713/784-7776); 6401 Woodway at Voss (713/789-4477); 4004 Bellaire Blvd. (713/667-4090) at Westland. Specialize in organic fruits & vegetables; good selection of GF products and bread. Our New Member Packet lists many GF products available at some Whole Foods Markets.
Kroger Signature Grocery Stores: Some large 'Signature' stores have a section (Natures Market) for special 'health food,' including gluten-free cereals, flours, mixes and cookies and crackers; and Amy's frozen products (not all are GF). Houston New Member Packet gives list of GF products available at some Kroger's. To ascertain GF product information call: 713-507-4800 (Houston); or 800-632-6900. Unfortunately, these stores seem to be eliminating some GF products and adding more low-carb products that are not necessarily gluten free. Beware.
Fiesta Grocery Stores: Most large Fiestas carry gluten-free cereals, flours and crackers. Also, check out the ethnic food departments for other special items.
Randall's: (now owned by Safeway) Some stores may carry Brazos Bottom Mills Rice four, Manischewitz Potato Starch and broths (ethnic section), and some Health Valley products.
Central Market: 3815 Westheimer at Weslayan. 713/386-1700.
- SPROUTS: One location on Westheimer near Kirkwood is open; other locations in the Greater
Houston area. Their Gluten-free Guide is on their website: www.sprouts.com . Look under 'Food Tips and Guide.'
- HEB Grocery Stores: The larger H-E-B grocery stores, like the one at I-10 and Blalock, have a large stock of GF products, Check out their new GF pasta, about the same price as regular. It's delicious. H-E-B gluten free guide on line: www.heb.com/sectionpage/whats-in-store/departments/gluten-free/gluten-free-landing/products/sd30210057 or go to H-E-B.com, then 'Our Brands', then 'Gluten-Free Products.'
They now have 'nutritional tags' on shelves designating Sugar Free, Fiber Source, Heart Healthy, Low Saturated Fat, Gluten Free, Vegan, Whole Grain, Organic, Low Sodium, Vegetarian and Carb Aware.
- CAKES BY MONICA: Gluten-free gourmet decorated cakes. Call Monica Rogers to order at 281/998-2569. Monica lives in Pasadena, TX.
- GLUTEN-FREE NATION: Phone (713) 784-7122. All gluten-free bakery. Many deliveries in the greater Houston area. Store is at 1014 Wirt, Suite 200, Houston 77055. Phone the shop to find out if products are delivered near your area. Many Saturday morning tastings. www.glutenfreehouston.com
- ERMA'S Nutrition Center & Natural Foods Market: 18045 Upper Bay Rd., Nassau Bay, TX 77058 (281/333-4746). E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Owner: Ellen Milstead. Ener-G, Kinnickinnick products, and more.
- NATURAL KITCHEN: 4145 West Lake Houston Parkway, Kingwood, TX 77339 -- Phone: 281/361-8816 -- Judy Redding, Owner
- CHAMPIONS HEALTH FOOD: 5215-B FM 1960 West, at Glen Erica, Houston, TX 77069 -- Phone: 281/440-9709 -- Beverly Deputy, Owner
- AMERICAN HEALTH FOODS: 21202 SH 249, 77070 (Tomball Pkwy. @ Louetta) -- Phone: 281/257-5511.
- THE BAKER'S RACK: in Angleton, TX 77515. Website: www.gfbakersrack.com . GF currently available: Moist Fudge Brownie Mix, Original Coating & Breading Mix, Southern Style Cornbread Mix, Devil's Food Cake Mix, Yellow Dream Cake Mix, Seasoned Coating and Breading Mix, Pancake & Waffle Mix. Order GF products from The Baker's Rack & contact Katherine Calvert at 979/849-6633, X-705, or 1-800/332-1760, or e-mail: email@example.com .
- COSMOS BAKERY AND DELI, 1400 Nasa Parkway, Clear Lake; phone: 832/864-2708. Owner is Cristina Valerde. They have many gluten-free options along with their regular wheat products. They try to bake separately and not at the same time as the wheat products. They have dedicated pans and specially colored cupcake liners. However, be advised that there is opportunity of cross contamination because of wheat flour in the air. You can order a GF sandwich with UDI's bread. Look at their Facebook page: Cosmos Baking and Deli.
- XOCO-LATTE Bakery: 4719 Lexington Blvd., Missouri City, TX 77459; 832/243-6748; www.Xoco-Latte.com.
- LETY'S GLUTEN-FREE BAKERY: Custom Cakes & Cupcakes: A home-based business owned by Leticia Womack in NW Houston/Cypress area.; www.letysbakery.com.
ON-LINE "GROCERY STORES"
- Gluten-Free Market - 847/419-9610. Chicago retail & online grocery store.
- Gluten-Free Trading Co. 800.GLUTEN (888-993-9933). www.gluten-free.net .
- Kinnickinnick all-gluten-free grocery store in Edmonton, Canada. www.kinnickinnick.home
Many gluten-free cookbooks are available at www.amazon.com. Just search for "gluten-free cookbooks."
- Bette Hagman - The Gluten-Free Gourmet series of cookbooks.
"The Gluten-Free Gourmet",
"The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread," The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Comfort Foods" and others. Basic cookbooks to start gluten-free diet with.
- Carol Fenster, Ph.D.: www.savorypalate.com; Cookbooks for wheat-free, gluten-free recipes, with good appendix with substitutions for other food sensitivities. "Cooking Free"(no gluten, dairy, or eggs) and "Gluten-Free Quick and Easy"(2007) among others.
- Connie Sarros: www.gfbooks.homestead.com/gfdiets.html; "Wheat-Free Gluten-Free Reduced Calorie Cookbook," "Recipes for Special Diets," Cookbook for Kids and Busy Adults," Newly-Diagnosed Survival Guide," and more...